Red Korean Traditional Mother of Pearl Handmade Octagon Jewelry Box with Flowers and Butterflies
Shipping calculated at checkout.
- Free worldwide shipping
- Low stock - 1 item left
- Inventory on the way
Lacquer wares inlaid with Mother of pearl
- 18*18*7 cm
About Najeon Art (나전공예)
- Najeon Chilgi, the wooden lacquerware inlaid with Mother-of-Pearl, is truly a cultural asset of Korea. The art of Najeon Chilgi is used to make items from jewelry boxes to chests, dressers and desks.The two main materials used in making Najeon Chilgi are the lacquer coating and mother-of-pearl. Korean mother-of-pearl made from the shining, unchangeable beauty of pearl oyster or abalone, is considered to be the jewel of the Orient.Traditional technique is a complicated and painstaking process consisting of more than twenty steps.
- The manufacturing can be roughly divided into several processes;
- pasting hemp cloth on the surface of the wooden frame,
- coating the surface with natural lacquer
- spraying powdered ox bone on the surface,
- inlaying the patterned mother-of-pearl on the pitch black background.
- and then repetition of lacquering and polishing. It takes 3~6 months to complete a product.
Use collapsible tabs for more detailed information that will help customers make a purchasing decision.
Ex: Shipping and return policies, size guides, and other common questions.