A beautiful Celadon pottery tea cup with plate set with traditional the 10 longevity symbols pattern which symbolizes;
The natural elements:
1. The sun- It rises every day without fail and is a source of life thus representing a wish for eternal life.
2. The mountains -whose shape and appearance seem to be never changing and can wisthand the weight of time.
3. The water - depicted as the sea or waterfalls - is too a symbol of life. Because of how it flows, it can symbolize harmony but also endless power as it can destroy everything on its path. “Nothing under heaven is softer or more yielding than water; but when it attacks things hard and resistant there is not one of them that can prevail.” (from “The way and its power” by Laotzi, circa 6th century BC).
4. The bamboo is a symbol of resilience as it bends under pressure rather than break. It has been a common symbol for scholars for this very reason.
5. Pine trees are evergreen, remaining the same through the seasons, they symbolize immortality.
6. “Yeongji”: it is a fabled mushroom that grants immortality to those who eat it but can only be found by deer or cranes.
7. The clouds’ edges are often depicted with a similar shape as the Yeongji. They represent the union of the dual principle of the Yin and the Yang, becoming a perfect symbol for harmony.
8. Cranes: as one of the oldest animals and because of their long life-span, they represent happiness and eternal youth. Also, since they choose a mate for life, their depiction is a symbol of a long marriage.
9. Deer living peacefully in the forest are a symbol of harmony.
10. Turtles: In Taoist philosophy, the turtle’s curvy top part of the shell symbolizes the heaven whereas the bottom part of the shell symbolizes the earth. The animal is supposed to carry the world on its back. In Buddhism too, the turtle is an important symbol. Knowing that for centuries, turtle shells were used to predicts the future, it is not surprising that they find their place amongst the big 10.
Korean celadon pottery renowned the world over since Goryeo Dynasty (918-1392) for its exquisite inlaid designs, elegantly curved lines and mysterious color- the color of the sky after a rainstorm during an autumn afternoon.
Cup; height- 10cm / 3.94 inch
Cover; diameter- 9.5cm / 3.74 inch
Plate; diameter- 13cm / 5.12 inch
Height- 2.2cm / 0.86 inch
Use collapsible tabs for more detailed information that will help customers make a purchasing decision.
Ex: Shipping and return policies, size guides, and other common questions.